Securities Borrowing & Lending
Securities borrowing and lending (SBL) is a temporary loan of securities between the lender and the borrower. This is done to allow the borrower who expects the price of a stock to fall to hold a short position for a longer duration, while the lender who loans the stock receives a lending fee from the borrower.
SBL is an important activity in many markets as it provides greater liquidity, tighter spreads, better risk management and possibly reduces the cost of capital.
Benefits of Securities Lending
- Potentially enhances yield of your portfolio
- No minimum lock-in period
- No disruption to trading activities
- Hassle free lending arrangements
Benefits of Securities Borrowing
- Wide variety of stocks available
- Ease of borrowing
- No upfront deposit required
- Ability to sell through other brokerages
- Potential tool to cover error trade
- No financing fee
How can I sign up for SBL?
For existing clients with POEMS online access, log on to POEMS 2.0 - Account Management - SBL Submit SBL Account Opening Form and Onlend Consent.
Download SBL Account Opening Form and Onlend Consent here.
Alternatively, visit any Phillip Investor Centre or contact your trading representative to open a SBL account.